Extrusion Coating Process Imaging System
Category: IR systems
- Detect waving or running edges, gaps, and torn edges quickly and automatically
- Insure proper web temperatures for strong film-to-substrate adhesion
- Improve profitability and product quality
- Define product-specific configurations and data files
- View complete thermal images and temperature profiles
- Customize and display zones overlayed on thermal image
- Automatically analyze zone temperatures
- Optional analog or digital outputs
- Fail-safe alarm logging
The EC150 Thermal Imaging System is an automated surface inspection system for detecting, measuring, and classifying defects occurring in extrusion coating, co-extrusion and laminating processes. This system provides a unique capability for managing the quality of plastic film extrusion processes.
Temperature and viscosity variations in the local melt streams across the width of an extruder flow channel can cause "wavy"; or "running" edges, gaps, and edge-tears in the extruded film. Using the MP150 Process Imager, the EC150 System continuously monitors the temperature distribution and width of the extruded melt curtain to automatically detect such imperfections.
The EC150 system monitors the extrusion process allowing temperature data to be visualized as a line graph (profile) and a thermographic image. Profiles and images may be printed or archived for future analysis.
Automatic Edge Detection
This automatic sector feature, unique to EC150, continuously monitors the melt curtain coming from the extruder die and provides automatic edge detection. The automatic sector adapts to measuring a plastic sheet of varying width. Temperature gaps, unacceptable waving, edge running or edge tears are detected instantly and if a fault or defect occurs, an alarm is triggered to allow for quick corrective action.